Friday, August 27, 2010

I Love College

Everyone is moving back to St. Mike’s this weekend and I’m jealous that I won’t be joining them. I remember last summer my mom had to practically drag me out of the house, kicking and screaming, when it was time to go back. I absolutely hated school. I hated the dorm rooms, the dining hall food and the fact that I had to share a bathroom with 30 other girls. I would get annoyed when people told me college was supposed to be the best time of my life because if public bathrooms and twin size beds are the best life has to offer, then I definitely don’t want to see what life after college is like.

I was looking at pictures of some girls I know who are college freshmen this year and it looks like they already have a group of friends and are having the time of their lives. I’m jealous of how easy it was for them to transition to college life when it took me almost two years to feel comfortable at school.

And now that I’m not going back this fall, St. Mike’s is the one place I want to be. Leaving St. Mike’s has shown me how much I really appreciate it, so I thought I would pull an Asher Roth and use this entry to describe what I love about college.

1.)Alliot cup drops: One person will drop their plastic Alliot cup on the ground which makes a loud noise as it bounces on the floor. This causes more people to drop their cups, creating a melodic chorus during dinner. It’s loud and annoying and awesome. As far as I can tell, this doesn’t happen at other colleges, so it’s another reason why St. Mike’s is special.

2.)Thursday nights: Thursday is my favorite day of the week. I’ve never had more than one class on Fridays, so I would always stop studying by 4:30 on Thursdays and spend some much needed time with my friends watching The Office, Community and 30 Rock while eating chicken tenders and smoothies from The Knightstand.

3.)Denny’s: My first time going to Denny’s was at 11:30 p.m. on a random Wednesday night when I had a media law quiz the next day. There’s something about going to a restaurant late on a school night and ordering breakfast that can make you feel giddy because it’s so random. A much needed break from the mundane week. I felt the same way as a child when my mom would go out and leave me with a babysitter and I would get to eat popcorn and ice cream and stay up past my bedtime.

4.)The roommate bond: Roommates bond quickly. You fight, you get annoyed with each other, you learn each other’s dirty little secrets, you see each other cry and you inevitably walk in on each other changing a few times. But you also laugh together, tell secrets and have someone to dance with in the middle of the night when you can’t sleep. You become more like sisters instead of friends.

5.)Library dates: The one downside to living in the same building as all of my friends was that I would spend hours hanging out with them instead of doing homework. To avoid that, I would go to the library to get work done. But when I would decide to go to the library, all my friends would go with me, resulting in multiple study breaks in the snack room, passing notes back and forth in the study cubicles and no work getting done. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment